It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:39 am 
I Glued My Fingers Together
I Glued My Fingers Together

Hi! I'm Richard. MY user name tells part of my story. I live in the dusty place called the Mojave Desert, in southern California, USA.

As it's the closest desert to Hollywood, my neighborhood is seen often on TV, movies, music videos and the internet. Just to the north is Edwards Air Force Base where new aircraft types are tested and developed. Just to the west is another Air Force base where companies build all sorts of new aircraft. I live on the edge of a small town.There is 1 home between us and the open desert. That's nice for one who is an offroad racer like me. I've raced offroad motorcycles and trophied repeatedly and won a championship racing my desert buggy. I've raced Baja as well as here in California, Arizona and Nevada. Just to the east of my home is El Mirage dry lake, where land speed record racers compete monthly except for the one month a year they go to Bonneville. The 1st race car I sat in was a Belly Tank dry lakes land speed record car. I grew up mostly around sports car racing. Willow Springs Raceway is just northwest. The old Riverside Raceway was just over an hour southeast. I've been a Technical and Safety Inspector since 1963, 1st at Sports car races. Then starting in the early 1970s, for offroad races, which I still am involved in. I've been a self-employed race car fabricator for most of the last 30 years. But have worked in the Plastics industry, been a carpenter and been a community water system consultant as well. I've also built movie sets. I do what pays the bills at the time.

So now down to why I'm here. I've built model cars since 1960. Sort of sporadically. Never have built models for competition, just for my own enjoyment. I build a wide selection of types, most all of them in 1/24 and 1/25 scales. Years (decades) ago, I built some military aircraft and armored and did some figures in 1/35. Not feeling too interested in such these days though.

So now I'm 60, retired and paying a little more attention to things that need adhesives rather than a welder.